“Our most valuable resource is our people: committed, driven, creative and engaged with a collaborative spirit and the desire for excellence in a team environment.”
The Conwest Team is a committed, driven and creative group with a collaborative spirit and a desire for excellence. Conwest offers a dynamic team environment with growth potential and a competitive remuneration & benefits package.
If you’re interested in joining the Conwest team, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current job openings
As Director, Development you are an essential part of each Conwest development project from conception to completion. You have a natural desire to move things forward. You take the long view and always look for the win/win/win in everything you do.
You recognize that everyone involved in a project needs to come out ahead and your desire to unearth stakeholders’ objectives and motivations is a big part of what excites you. You also have a passion for business and for design. You can find the balance between the visual and the financial.
Our Team is a flat, fast, and entrepreneurial mix of specialists that add value by solving complex problems. Every day is different, and every project is special. You thrive in this high performance but supportive, casual environment. You bring your own mix of talents to this team and support others, like they support you in your daily endeavors.
The Director, Development works on a wide breadth of project types, from intensified industrial development to social purpose high-rise residential development involving non-profits and charitable organizations. A wholistic approach to bring together all aspects of the development cycle, paired with the fundamental knowledge required to navigate complex development and approvals processes as effectively as possible, is a must to successfully execute on project visions.
The Director, Development has a comprehensive understanding of the development process including municipal approvals, project design development and consultant management, proformas, and cashflows. The Director, Development works closely with many different team members across all departments including acquisitions, construction, marketing, sales, legal, accounting and finance as part of a collaborative team-based culture.
A. Technical Focus Areas:
- Leading/facilitating the municipal approvals process to achieve the goals of each project’s business plan
- Negotiating a variety of legal agreements with different stakeholders
- Leading and managing a variety of consultants on the project development team
- Preparing and managing detailed project proformas and cashflows through the development cycle
- Working directly with Senior Acquisitions Manager and COO on environmentally sensitive and contaminated sites, liaising with environmental consultants and supporting the remediation process with the MOE
- The center point for each project, connecting all internal departments involved through the development process to successfully manage projects to completion. Some examples:
- Involved with Acquisitions as required; providing input on projects in the acquisitions stage, part of team to develop project business plan, identify risks and make go/no go decisions
- Working directly with Finance team to provide input to loan applications and associated project financials, ensuring loan needs match project strategy
- Working closely with Construction team to ensure cost control throughout project
- Working closely with Legal team to execute requirements of municipal approvals (i.e. registered agreements, lot consolidations, strata plans) execute agreements, provide input into project sales and leasing documents
- Working closely with Sales & Marketing team to facilitate successful project campaigns
- Working across a variety of asset classes, including industrial, commercial, residential, social purpose.
B. Soft Skills & Character:
Professional and Community Relations
- Develop and nurture positive and effective relationships with all levels within and outside of the organization
- Develop a strong and visible industry presence on behalf of Conwest, representing the company at industry events and seminars
- Grow and maintain a strong network of colleagues
Relationship and Collaboration Focused
- Promote dialogue, cooperation, collaboration, and partnerships between individuals or groups both within and outside Conwest, actively listening to messages being communicated by stakeholders and authentically engaging them in the work of the organization
- Possess a strong level of emotional intelligence (EQ)
- Act in a manner consistent with the vision, mission, and values of Conwest
- Consistently demonstrate sincerity, honesty, respect, and empathy in all interactions with stakeholders
- Highly ethical
- Ready to take on new challenges and grow with Conwest
- Self-starter who is passionate about continuous learning in the real estate development business
- Influence decisions that challenge the status quo, promoting growth & positive development in the organization
Excellent Judgment & Problem Solver
- Utilize objective, factual, and valid information from a variety of sources to make informed decisions
- Solution-oriented and a natural problem solver, with the ability to seek creative and non-traditional solutions to unique problems
C. Other Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Business, Urban Land Economics, or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Development Management with a strong track record.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) with strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- An understanding of a range of built forms (eg. industrial, commercial, residential, institutional) is an asset.
- A high level of organizational skills, thoroughness, and time management
- Valid BC Driver’s license & reliable vehicle